Monday 4 May 2009

Kampala

I'm not starting work until tomorrow, so I've decided to come to Kampala to do some sightseeing and get my bearings somewhat. Here's a brief list of some of the things I've experienced so far:

Transport:
If you don't have your own car, then there are 2 principal means of
getting about Kampala:
- 'Matatu' or minibus taxi: these squeeze around 14 people inside and
hair about the roads with scant regard for other road users. As you can imagine, they're a little cramped, so at nearly
6'4", I'm perhaps a little bit too tall for this means of transport!
- 'Boda-boda' or moped taxi: these are pillion passenger mopeds or
120cc scooters. Fast, cheap and a little more comfortable than the
matatu, I've been using these to get about. They are renowned for their poor safety record, but the government has been making some efforts to improve on this.

You can use normal private or 'special' hire taxis, but these are a
bit more pricey. The roads here are by and large pretty good; apparently, the good condition is due in no small part to the efforts in preparation for the recent (2007) visit to Uganda by the world Commonwealth heads, including Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. However, despite all this, Ugandan roads are far more dangerous than UK roads. I've heard of several people being killed on the roads, including 2 parents of children at the international school where the fiancé of my friend and host works.

Weather:
It's hot here, but not unbearable. My unscientific estimates would put
it at around 32 Celcius. It's quite humid at times and there was
thunder, lightening and some rain this morning. Apparently, we're at the tail end of the rainy season.

People:
Very friendly indeed! Ugandans are polite, smiling and helpful. I
haven't met too many yet, but first impressions are very positive.

Kampala is hot, dusty, noisy and chaotic, but I love it so far! Will have more to tell later this week when I start work.

2 comments:

I will find you... said...

Very mature farmer.
But no, really?
Rich?
No Comment?

farmerpalmer said...

o O

You know what these symbols mean.